'Swapped one hell for another': Michael Fatialofa's staggering $200k medical bill

Worcester Warriors lock Michael Fatialofa is reportedly facing a $NZ200,000 medical bill after spending months in hospital to recover from a broken neck he sustained during a match early this year.
The ex-Hurricanes second rower suffered a C4 vertebrae fracture and spinal contusion during a Premiership clash against Saracens in January, leaving him paralysed from the neck down.
After having spent four months in at the private Royal Buckinghamshire Hospital, Fatialofa is now walking again, but according to a report from The Telegraph, the 27-year-old has been hit with invoices totalling to around £100,000 for his lengthy stay in medical care.
The hefty price tag has overshadowed his miraculous recovery that has inspired friends, family, fans and players from around the globe.
The report states that the first month of his time at Royal Bucks, which cost approximately £36,000, was paid for by Worcester through the Rugby Care insurance scheme.
At that point, Fatialofa was to be transferred to the Stoke Mandeville public hospital, but with no bed available at that facility, he spent the next three months in private care.
The Telegraph reports that the Warriors were told that the remaining medical fees would be covered by by the Clinical Commission Group, which allows National Health Service patients to receive private health care when no public health service is available.
However, Fatialofa has reportedly been sent bills equating to around £100,000 for his stay at Royal Bucks, with one source telling The Telegraph that the New Zealander "has swapped one hell for another".
Compounding complications is that Fatialofa's contract with Worcester expired on June 30, while his prearranged contract with a French club has since been cancelled due to his injury.
Furthermore, Fatialofa's visa is set to expire soon, but he needs to remain in the United Kingdom to receive follow-up treatment from his surgeon before returning to New Zealand.
Funds amounting to over £40,000 ($NZ80,000) have been raised on a Just Giving Page by the Rugby Players' Association's Restart Charity, but sources told The Telegraph that Fatialofa is facing fees that are well beyond his financial means.
In addition to the RPA's fundraising, Fatialofa is reportedly receiving support from he Pacific Rugby Players' Welfare group and the Worcester Warriors' backroom staff.
Worcester co-owner Colin Goldring has voiced his backing of Fatialofa, saying the club will do what they can to prevent the 2016 Super Rugby champion from stumping up the six-figure payment.
"He won't be out of pocket because he is one of our boys,” Goldring said. “We will protect him and look after him."
Latest Comments
Larry Brown was 63 when he won the NBA, and Phil Jackson was 64.
I guess my general feeling in rugby is that most coaches seem to decline quite a bit when they hit 60, and to be coaching at the top level when you’re 65 or older is extremely rare. Maybe in american sports people have another 5 years, but that doesn’t seem like a massive difference.
Either way, I’m going to stick with my verdict that appointing Les Kiss at age 60 would be ok as a short term deal - but appointing him at 63 and expecting him to last 4 years would be foolish.
Go to commentsWe come off a loss and a big one to Moana Pasifika and 2 years in a row losing to the Drua. The motivation to reverse that is huge. This competition has been unpredictable. I believe the return of inform players like Antonio Shalfoon , Christian Lio-Willie will make a huge difference.Tom Christie, who played so well in his 2 starts and Corrie Kellow will be raring to go. We missed David Havili, the form second five and captain last week, he thankfully will be back soon. But Codie Taylor is a great choice to captain in the mean time in David’s absence.
Go to comments